Blooingdale Township

Tax Cap - What Can I Do?

The "tax cap" laws can be changed only by the General Assembly and the Governor. The General Assembly has two chambers, the House and the Senate. You elect representatives to both chambers and you also elect the Governor.

Lobbyists representing the taxing districts constantly tell the Governor's office and the legislators that the tax caps are not working, and are causing undue hardship on the tax districts. Each year they manage to convince some legislators to introduce new bills in the General Assembly that would weaken the tax caps or eliminate them all together.

The legislators and the governor need to hear from you, the taxpayer. Please call or write your state legislator and the governor's office. Advise them that you believe the tax caps are working and should not be changed in any way. Remind them that if any tax district needs more than a 5% increase in spending, they are permitted to ask the voters for a tax increase, over and above the 5% limit, by means of a referendum. Changing the tax cap laws would allow tax districts to increase property taxes without any limits and without referendum.

Names and addresses of elected officials you may contact about the Tax Caps
Honorable Bruce Rauner
Governor, State of Illinois
207 State House
Springfield, IL. 62706      
(217) 782-6830
  Honorable Tom Cullerton
Illinois State Senator
38 S Ardmore Ave
Villa Park, IL 60181
(630) 903-6662
  Honorable Michael Connolly
Illinois State Senator
1725 S. Naperville Road, 
Suite 200
Wheaton, IL 60189
(630) 682-8101
Honorable Christine Winger
Illinois State Representative
One Tiffany Pointe
Suite G3
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
(847) 252-9311
  Honorable Deborah Conroy
Illinois State Representative
28 S. Villa Ave. 
Villa Park, IL 60181
(630) 415-3520  
  Honorable Michelle Mussman
Illinois State Representative
15 W. Weathersfield Way
Schaumburg, IL 60193
(847) 923-9104